Re: [rtcweb] Video codecs: Clear positions....

"Cavigioli, Chris" <chris.cavigioli@intel.com> Tue, 09 December 2014 19:11 UTC

From: "Cavigioli, Chris" <chris.cavigioli@intel.com>
To: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 19:11:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.200.106]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Video codecs: Clear positions....

Paying for codecs is cost of doing business.

-          The whole TV ecosystem uses MPEG-2, H.264, etc ... MPEG or Dolby audio ...

-          The whole mobile phone ecosystem uses H.264, AMR, etc …

-          All cameras and displays use standard codecs

-          Almost all online content today is using standard codecs

-          Paying for codecs pays for research labs to continue their research to invent new things

-          There is no performant codec today that is 100% guaranteed royalty free – that is a mirage

The problem I see is that MPEG-LA or other patent pooling organizations don’t typically have a provision for small and medium-sized businesses as they probably don’t have a deep IP portfolio in this space.  That is the problem that should be fixed going forward.

-chris