Re: [rtcweb] SDP testing

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Sun, 21 October 2012 06:51 UTC

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 08:51:15 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] SDP testing

On 10/21/2012 01:20 AM, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Harald said:
>
> "Thanks for the info - can you point to the bugs you filed on these
> issues with our implementation? I'll try to see that they're followed up."
>
> [BA] To determine whether something is a "bug" or a "feature" it helps
> to have a specification that states what is expected.  Since we're
> primarily talking about SDP usage within the API rather than what
> travels over the wire (after all, signaling is out of scope in
> WebRTC), http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nandakumar-rtcweb-sdp is
> only a baby step toward determining whether the SDP output by
> createOffer is conformant or whether input to setLocalDescription or
> setRemoteDescription should be acceptable or not, and if not, what
> should happen.
>
> For example,  posting the SDP that is emitted by various createOffer()
> implementations might enhance the appreciation of the importance of
> the issue, I am not sure how to evaluate the results without
> understanding whether that output is expected to be valid SDP or not.
>  For example, if trickle ICE is used, then perhaps one should not
> expect createOffer to provide SDP with valid addresses and ports
> filled in; instead that information is expected to be filled in later.
Actually all of the issues I've seen in real testing so far have fallen
into two broad cateories:

- Issues where the endpoints are known to be noninteroperable - for
instance by requiring ICE, requiring SRTP, or using different video
codecs. No amount of SDP munging will fix those.
- Issues where the Google implementors have failed to understand some
subtlety of SDP syntax, encountered an SDP extension that we didn't
expect to see, or didn't get around to handling that part of the syntax
yet - for instance when we were sending "s=" instead of "s= ".

When we started out, I expected a host of issues of the type you
envision - where people who are reading the SDP specs have serious
differences of opinion about what should be the right outcome - but so
far, I haven't seen that happening.

Perhaps we haven't gotten to the hard parts yet, or perhaps the SDP
specification, when used for the basic stuff that we're so far doing, is
less troublesome than we thought?

That's why I keep on pushing for bugs to be filed - I believe we can
identify problem areas more easily by saying "when X tries to negotiate
a connection with Y, A happens, but B should happen instead".
Also, I learn much more from those discussions than a discussion phrased
in general terms!

                 Harald