Re: [rtcweb] UDP transport problem

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Fri, 14 February 2014 20:50 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 21:50:38 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Cb B <cb.list6@gmail.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] UDP transport problem

On 02/14/2014 07:54 PM, Cb B wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Harald Alvestrand
> <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
>>> reducing the likelihood that WebRTC could be used for DDoS attacks.
>>> have all sorts of nasty effects on all forms of VoIP.  TCP-entrained
>>> VoIP can evade that, but at a serious cost to call quality.  Surely
>>> the operators know this.
>>> Agreed on all points. My view is one related to the basic requirement
>>> of keeping the network up.  I hope i have provided enough reference
>>> points to make the magnitude of the problem clear as well as how
>>> history has shown protocols get blocked (smtp)
>>>
>> This SMTP example doesn't match what I've seen happen.
>>
>> SMTP is not blocked by any backbone service provider I know of.
>>
>> Outgoing SMTP on port 25 is commonly blocked by firewalls that think
>> they don't have servers behind them (hotels are notorious in this
>> aspect). That's why the submit port is popular (and deployed with
>> authentication). The main concern isn't DDOS attacks, it's being blamed
>> for spam.
>>
> Spam is a type of attack.  It is an L7 attack as opposed to a volume attack.
>

> The largest broadband ISP in the USA blocks port 25, i provided this
> info in my first email.
>
> http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-port-25-no-longer-supported/

I believe this is consistent with what I said. They block it *for
residential customers*.

That's why I said "by backbone providers" above.

If port 25 was blocked by backbone providers, we would not be having
this conversation in this medium; from your message:

        d=gmail.com; s=20120113;
        h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
         :cc:content-type;
        bh=uOHldLGex53bmiWfJEdhgiY7mkII6sbilbQC8KWLQBI=;
        b=jkmpcR1j1p4IBKmFsuKH1r7thWkWzUfakYB1l0aCvWkCB3r6UwGkxyS8QZSYfrcLZL
         1yR20Mgz/sHeU0Sqn6GGSIwDVSSmG/arGHcITQuhUJ/qP99huNVTNArKtdlxb6iQArW8
         WiT03gtCm74rfIWcbMqrnV0KxBZVwY0UcyCc1zcrPx7ykqEI2trkIdp/xj517VgAAU7i
         YjtLZPqHJgy0kp9jenRgFfHqOA6KTOaCowOQmS/tdSUgJOoK16Up+HWbI2ACCVXDocJW
         3LqGlj0TnzIdKnUgvNNqBikK7GAF71Hra8FkkFmcsrZLjjY4PYBAnzdUIfmydj29zMIs
         Mviw==
 Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:54:06 -0800 (PST)

The occurences of the word "SMTP" in those header fields should tell you
something.