Re: [rtcweb] Google VP8 Patent Grant for third parties [Was Re:Proposal for H.263 baseline codec]

Basil Mohamed Gohar <basilgohar@librevideo.org> Tue, 03 April 2012 18:37 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:37:15 -0400
From: Basil Mohamed Gohar <basilgohar@librevideo.org>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Google VP8 Patent Grant for third parties [Was Re:Proposal for H.263 baseline codec]

Serge,

Thank you very much for this.  To go a step forward, I would encourage
that this be made more legally obvious, because a reference to a single
e-mail on an "obscure" mailing list (relative to what most people are
familiar with) will not provide the deepest levels of assurance to those
not actively involved with the WebRTC project.

I would humbly request an unambiguous statement somewhere on the WebM
project website that makes this assertion clear, because what is
publicly available is, at the very least, ambiguous, and at the worst,
"evidence of Google's nefarious scheme to pounce on hardware
implementers after wide adoption".