Re: [rtcweb] I-D Action: draft-lennox-rtcweb-rtp-media-type-mux-00.txt

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Sun, 13 November 2011 16:04 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:04:48 +0800
To: Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, IETF AVTCore WG <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] I-D Action: draft-lennox-rtcweb-rtp-media-type-mux-00.txt

Jonathan,

A more compelling argument for reporting from all SSRCs may be that various AVPF and RTCP XR packets make no sense unless sent from the SSRC corresponding to the correct media type. Sending just those, but not regular RTCP reports, will cause havoc to the RTCP participant timeout rules, and SSRC collision detection, unless you signal and heavily special-case the code. This doesn't seem worth it, for tiny bandwidth savings.

Reporting on yourself is harder to defend, I agree, but the potential to confuse monitoring equipment (and given the activity in XRBLOCK, someone must care about that…), and the additional signalling needed, again seem to outweigh the bandwidth cost.

Colin