Re: [rtcweb] ROAP Example Application

Matthew Kaufman <matthew.kaufman@skype.net> Fri, 21 October 2011 23:33 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:32:17 -0700
From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew.kaufman@skype.net>
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] ROAP Example Application

On 10/21/2011 12:01 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Matthew Kaufman
> <matthew.kaufman@skype.net <mailto:matthew.kaufman@skype.net>> wrote:
>
>     Thought experiment:
>
>     If one had a connection object that supported an underlying
>     protocol that could send one or more encrypted flows of both
>     real-time media and reliable data, what information would you need
>     to exchange between the two browser endpoints in order to ensure
>     that any pair of browsers with any future audio or video codec
>     could use the best mutually-supported codecs?
>

> I think I am missing your point slightly.  Do you mean the connection
> object talks to an abstraction layer that manages how the flows are
> sent, and the swapping occurs in what it manages, or do you mean the
> connection object should be able to swap out whether it is talking to
> ICE, DTLS-SRTP, or TCP-over-UDP transparently?  or something else?

I mean "what if the connection object was sitting on top of something
like RTMFP", in other words a protocol that can trivially be asked to
open a secure (encrypted and authenticated) NAT-traversing session
between your browser and another browser and then can deliver multiple
parallel flows of partially-reliable media and fully-reliable data
(prioritized appropriately)  to the far end.

Then the next question I asked is, IF you had a connection object like
that, what is the minimum you need to get the
latest-and-greatest-codec-just-works behavior that Cullen, et. al. have
described?

Matthew Kaufman