Re: [rtcweb] API options for supporting fork with ROAP (Re: SDP Offer/Answer draft-jennings-rtcweb-signaling)

Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> Tue, 18 October 2011 12:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 14:24:57 +0200
From: Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] API options for supporting fork with ROAP (Re: SDP Offer/Answer draft-jennings-rtcweb-signaling)

Our idea is basically that whenever you create a new PeerConnection in
the same context as you have already created one or more
PeerConnection's, the same local candidates should be re-used. Of course
the 5-tuple must remain unique so that different connections don't
collapse into one, but this is quite simple to resolve.

For clarity, the above would be requirements on the implementation (in
browsers).

This means that support of forking would be simple as the IP+port's to
send media to (for the remote end) remains also for the new PeerConnection.

Another advantage is that creating new PeerConnections will be faster as
new candidates does not need to be gathered.

I think this is quite a clean solution since there is no need for API
changes, or any additional factory layer.

Stefan