Re: [rtcweb] Feedback messages (and problem with RTP usage document)

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Tue, 14 January 2014 16:55 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, Tim Panton <tim@phonefromhere.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:55:13 -0800
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Feedback messages (and problem with RTP usage document)

I'd prefer choice A.  It makes sense to me for all fb message recommendations to be handled within the same document.  Right now RPSI and SLI are discussed in the RTP usage document, but are OPTIONAL,  Since there will be substantial benefits in terms of interoperability,  I'd like to see commonly used fb messages RECOMMENDED for implementation (since implementation is not required in the codec documents a MUST is probably too much).

It might also be appropriate to include a general statement that WebRTC implementations supporting a particular video codec need to conform to the requirements of the codec specification with respect to fb messages.

I am indifferent to whether the RTP usage document includes a reference to the VP8 or H265 payload specifications or not (I'd suggest that either reference be non-normative). RFC 6184 does not have a section on fb messages similar to the ones in the VP8 and H265 payload specs, so that will not be of much help.