Re: [rtcweb] draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-usage-12 Client-to-Mixer Audio Level

Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com> Wed, 05 March 2014 15:46 UTC

From: Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com>
To: Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 15:45:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [31.133.187.226]
Cc: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-usage-12 Client-to-Mixer Audio Level

On Mar 5, 2014, at 2:25 PM, Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com<mailto:juberti@google.com>> wrote:

So there are three things here:
1) MUST the implementation offer encrypted header extensions? (i.e. mandatory-to-implement)
2) MUST the implementation use encrypted header extensions? (i.e. mandatory-to-use)
3) MUST the implementation expose an API to control this? (i.e. no SDP munging needed)

I think we want yes for #1, no for #2, and #3 is potentially interesting but out of scope for 1.0.
That gives encrypted headers for audio on by default, but remote parties can negotiate this off using RFC 6904 mechanisms.

Note that in 6904’s procedures, an offerer has to explicitly offer both encrypted and unencrypted versions of a header extension if it wants to allow the answerer to choose between them.

To support this use case, in RTCWeb terms, this would mean that a browser would a) have to offer both the encrypted and unencrypted versions of the header extension, and b) answer an offer that offered only the unencrypted header by agreeing to use it.

That said, I’m not sure I believe in Cullen’s use case — there’s too much other information that this unauthorized conference mixer wouldn’t be able to do.  (e.g., request I-frames, or detect them, for switching; or generate proper RTCP reports for sometimes-on streams).