Re: [rtcweb] Changing video size (Re: use case:)

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Mon, 11 July 2011 14:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:01:56 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Changing video size (Re: use case:)

On 06/22/11 05:59, Justin Uberti wrote:
> Given the fact that this request for a video size change is an
> optimization (either of resources or user experience), I think that
> SHOULD is probably the strongest label we can put on it. Consider the
> case of a middlebox; if it has no capacity to scale the stream, due to
> compute or codec restrictions, there's not much it can do with this
> request.
There might be some things it can do, even if it can neither recode nor
do SVC-style tricks.
For instance, if it's a distribution point (one incoming video stream,
many outgoing copies), it can keep track of the maximal video size
requested by any of its downstreams, and signal the upstream to send a
resolution that is no higher than the largest resolution requested.

I agree that we can't demand that the sender send exactly the resolution
requested; in *many* cases, it's reasonable to send both higher and
lower resolutions than the requested ones.