Re: [rtcweb] Straw Poll on Video Codec Alternatives

<holger.debelts@telekom.de> Mon, 13 January 2014 13:25 UTC

From: holger.debelts@telekom.de
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 14:25:37 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Straw Poll on Video Codec Alternatives

Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... Provide your poll input by replying to this email to the WG
> mailing list. The poll will run until the end of the 12th of January 2014...

 1.  All entities MUST support H.264
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

No new arguments. Basically royalties with unclear business outlook for licenses buyers.

 2.  All entities MUST support VP8
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

As VP9 is approaching, I see this as a kind of backward looking sspecification.

 3.  All entities MUST support both H.264 and VP8
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

Does not make any sense as previously stated by many others.

 4.  Browsers MUST support both H.264 and VP8, other entities MUST support at least one of H.264 and VP8
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

It is already happening in major browsers, so why adding this here?

 5.  All entities MUST support at least one of H.264 and VP8
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

See 1b/2b.

 6.  All entities MUST support H.261
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

User experience not state of the art. Backward looking technology.

 7.  There is no MTI video codec
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

YES

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

As it is not a technical problem, a technical body will not be able to solve the problem.

 8.  All entities MUST support H.261 and all entities MUST support at least one of H.264 and VP8
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

See 6b.

 9.  All entities MUST support Theora
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

Also no clear future outlook regarding legal issues.

10.  All entities MUST implement at least two of {VP8, H.264, H.261}
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

Does not ensure interoperability. See 1b/2b/6b.

11.  All entities MUST implement at least two of {VP8, H.264, H.263}
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

See 10 b.

12.  All entities MUST support decoding using both H.264 and VP8, and MUST support encoding using at least one of H.264 or VP8
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

Does not solve the issues mentioned above.

13.  All entities MUST support H.263
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

See 1b and old technology.

14.  All entities MUST implement at least two of {VP8, H.264, Theora}
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

See above.

15.  All entities MUST support decoding using Theora.
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

See 9b.

16.  All entities MUST support Motion JPEG
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

NO

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

Historic.