[rtcweb] Review of draft-perkins-rtcweb-usage-03 (Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-perkins-rtcweb-rtp-usage-03.txt)

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Mon, 29 August 2011 13:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:33:07 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: [rtcweb] Review of draft-perkins-rtcweb-usage-03 (Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-perkins-rtcweb-rtp-usage-03.txt)

Colin, I really like this version!

There might want to be a placeholder about multiplexing, saying "we will
return to this issue after more discussion". Otherwise, it seems to me
we're setting up the expectation that this will be handled entirely in
some other document - I think the end product of the WG needs to discuss
it, and it seems logical that some aspect of it should go here.

Some detailed comments:

- In Figure 2, section 1.1, I think you're making the assumption that
multi-unicast topologies will use a single shared RTP session (SSRC
number space) for all the links. This is not obvious; it's possible to
build this topology on point-to-point RTP sessions too.

- In section 3, you make the point that improper signalling of bandwidth
can cause failure to interoperate (because of differing RTCP timings).
Is there a (possibly theoretical) problem with interoperation between
RTP/AVP and RTP/AVPF too, or have we verified that the AVPF profile
always sends enough RTCP packets that AVP-conformant endpoints don't
time out?

- In section 6, I would recommend removing the point about scenarios
with mixers using point-to-point RTP sessions are "not well utilizing
the mechanisms of RTP" - I think people's engineering tradeoffs should
be respected.
I'm fine with leaving in the comment about protocol violations (although
I'd like to be more specific about what they are - protocols shouldn't
be violated; if people "have" to do that, there's something wrong with
the protocol).

- In the list of other extensions, section 6.2, you say that two
extensions are "not recommended" - is this a recommendation against
(like NOT RECOMMENDED would be), or simply a declaration that their use
or non-use is of no concern?

- there are some sections with garbled grammar (the last paragraph of
section 7.2, before 7.2.1, is particularly irksome to the eye), but I
assume that this will be reviewed in later versions; the meaning comes
through.