[rtcweb] Consensus Call on Non-media data service consensus and requirements

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Wed, 13 July 2011 15:57 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:57:47 +0200
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: [rtcweb] Consensus Call on Non-media data service consensus and requirements

Hi,

I have reviewed the input both the last 2 weeks and the discussion back
in April.

I see a strong support but with at least 2 people disagreeing to a basic
p2p datagram functionality. The use cases are various and some just
state that they see it as important functionality to provide to empower
the web application.

Based on this I declare a rough consensus on that we should provide a
non-media data service that is unreliable datagram oriented directly
between the peers.

One of objections against this was lack of clear requirements for what
the service. The straw men requirements I included has gotten some
discussion. Mostly support for them, but it is clear to me that we need
to further develop them. I would recommend the proponents for driving
proposals towards meeting this functionality to further discuss the
requirements taking the input so far into consideration.

When it comes to reliable data transfer between peers there has been 4-5
that wanted the functionality, 2 additional that explicitly stated they
where okay with it. No additional that has stated against it.

My interpretation is that we are close to having a rough consensus for
reliable data service, but we have so far seen no proponent willing to
suggest a solution for this. I would also note that a solution is likely
a functionality block that isn't dependent on more than the
signaling/negotiation and the NAT traversal and thus can be added a
later stage or be worked on with a completion date further into the
future than other pieces already.

So for reliable data I would recommend that someone takes on the role of
proponent and provides a draft with their perceived requirements and a
straw man proposal for how to solve these requirements so we have
something more tangible to discuss.

Cheers

Magnus