Re: [rtcweb] Video Codec - Possible to use.

"Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com> Fri, 19 October 2012 15:20 UTC

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 15:20:49 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.29.42.225]
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Video Codec - Possible to use.

On 19 October 2012 15:58 Eric Rescorla wrote:

> I don't really understand the question.
>
> Obviously, it should be possible for WebRTC implementations (e.g.,
> browsers)
> to derive codecs from the underlying platform (just as some browsers
> get
> their libc or their crypto libraries from the underlying platform).
> Similarly,
> it should be possible for browsers to allow pluggable additional
> codecs.
> In both cases these seem like features browser implementors might
> choose to provide at their discretion and which wouldn't be visible to
> Web content.
>
> Did you have something else in mind?

Sorry if it is a silly question I am not so familiar with the mechanism here.

What concerns me is that I hear it stated that using additional codec's from the underlying platform is possible but can someone tell me how the correct SDP would be generated? Would the browser have the information to build the SDP for codec's it did not natively support or would the application need to craft the SDP and then if the application did it would the browser be able to do the right thing when the app calls setLocalDescription() etc.

Andy