Re: [rtcweb] VP8 vs H.264 - the core issue

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 24 October 2013 11:12 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 13:12:16 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] VP8 vs H.264 - the core issue

On 10/23/2013 09:42 PM, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> On 10/23/2013 02:51 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> Just a reminder:
>> The back-and-forth of numbers doesn't change the core question of this
>> debate.
>> Both codecs are capable of high quality video encoding, and performance
>> numbers are comparable.
>>
>> The real core question is the IPR issue.
>>
>> The tradition of the IETF says that allowing only business models that
>> can sustain royalty agreements and royalty payments is Bad for the Internet.
>>
>> The dominant video codec, H.264, is a royalty-required codec.
>>
>> Do we switch now, or do we give up and live with royalties forever?
>>
> Harald,
>
> I would like to see some references to the tradition of the IETF that
> you've quoted.
>
> For the record, I agree with the sentiment, but I'd like to be able to
> back up the claim itself with references or explicit decisions that were
> made in that regard.  I'm not trying to be a thorn in your side, just
> looking for citations to back up the arguments, both on and off list.

Basil, very happy to provide references!

RFC 3979, a core document about IPR in the IETF, 2005:

8.  Evaluating Alternative Technologies in IETF Working Groups

   In general, IETF working groups prefer technologies with no known IPR
   claims or, for technologies with claims against them, an offer of
   royalty-free licensing.  But IETF working groups have the discretion
   to adopt technology with a commitment of fair and non-discriminatory
   terms, or even with no licensing commitment, if they feel that this
   technology is superior enough to alternatives with fewer IPR claims
   or free licensing to outweigh the potential cost of the licenses.

The complete section gives some more details, but this is the central quote.

You may also enjoy reading the section of RFC 6569 (the guidelines that
were followed in the OPUS work) that deals with IPR:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6569#page-8

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.