Re: [rtcweb] draft-ibc-rtcweb-sip-websocket -- WebSocket Transport for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

"Avasarala, Ranjit" <Ranjit.Avasarala@Polycom.com> Wed, 14 September 2011 06:21 UTC

From: "Avasarala, Ranjit" <Ranjit.Avasarala@Polycom.com>
To: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:23:34 +0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] draft-ibc-rtcweb-sip-websocket -- WebSocket Transport for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

Hi Inaki

I have few initial comments on your draft

1) in Section 3, its mentioned that there is no real benefit of using SIP over Websockets. If this is the case, why are you proposing integrating SIP with Websockets?
2) Also just integrating SIP for signaling case is really no use, as there are several other ways of achieving signaling in web - E.g. using libjingle of WebRTC, etc
3) In Section 4, you mentioned that since Websocket is a reliable transport protocol, the websocket sub-protocol defined for SIP also becomes reliable. I don't agree with this - The websocket connection is actually initiated by the web browser client towards the web server and this connection needs to be kept alive through some keep alive mechanism. Otherwise the connection may close. I am not sure of reliability.
4) In Section 4.1,I am not clear of the Via transport parameter having the value of "WS". Why do you need this when the whole SIP message is going as part of WebSocket payload [Using websocket API]?

Thans

Regards
Ranjit