Re: [rtcweb] Non-media data service consensus and requirements

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Tue, 28 June 2011 14:33 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:33:05 +0200
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: Manuel Simoni <msimoni@gmail.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Non-media data service consensus and requirements

On 2011-06-28 16:18, Manuel Simoni wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Magnus Westerlund
> <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> wrote:
>> At the interim it was planned to have a bit discussion on the datagram
>> service for RTCWEB. The first question to try to resolve if there
>> is consensus for including some form of non real-time media (i.e. not
>> audio, video) service between peers. This is a bit tangled with the
>> actual requirements and use cases. But there was views both for it and
>> against it on the mailing list. So lets continue and try to come to a
>> conclusion on this discussion.
>>
>> The use cases mentioned on the mailing list are:
>>
>> - Dynamic meta data for Conference and other real-time services
>>
>> - Gaming data with low latency requirements
>>
>> Does anyone like to add additional use cases?
>
> Hello,
>
> I don't understand the networking details, but I am sure that people
> will want to transfer files between peers, and if only an unreliable
> service is provided, people *will* implement it on top of the
> unreliable service. Badly, probably.

Manual, as I asked lower down in the email:

> Secondly, there is a question if there needs to have something that
> provides reliable message (of arbitrary size) or byte stream oriented
> data transport between the peers. I personally foresee that people will
> build JS libraries for this on top of a unreliable datagram service. If
> you desire reliable data service as part of the standardized solution
> please provide motivation and use case and requirements.

When it comes to reliable data I interpret you being a supporter for it.
However, can you elaborate on any usages you see for reliable object in
web-applications to try to see if there are any requirements we are
missing.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com