Re: [rtcweb] Non-media data service consensus and requirements

Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> Mon, 27 June 2011 14:26 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:34:16 +0200
From: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Non-media data service consensus and requirements

На 27.06.11 09:36, Magnus Westerlund написа:
> WG,
>
> At the interim it was planned to have a bit discussion on the datagram
> service for RTCWEB. The first question to try to resolve if there
> is consensus for including some form of non real-time media (i.e. not
> audio, video) service between peers. This is a bit tangled with the
> actual requirements and use cases. But there was views both for it and
> against it on the mailing list. So lets continue and try to come to a
> conclusion on this discussion.
>
> The use cases mentioned on the mailing list are:
>
> - Dynamic meta data for Conference and other real-time services
>
> - Gaming data with low latency requirements
>
> Does anyone like to add additional use cases?

- File transfer? Skype, Google Talk, Windows Live, and pretty much any
existing service has it so I suppose it is reasonable to assume that
people using rtcweb would like to add the feature to their web applications.

- Transferring input events (e.g. pressed keys and mouse clicks) in
desktop sharing applicaitons?

> Based on my personal understanding this points to primarily have the
> RTCWEB provide a unreliable datagram service. This clearly needs
> additional requirements to be secure and safe to deploy, but more about
> this below. I still like to ask the WG here a question.
>
> Are you supporting the inclusion of a unreliable datagram service
> directly between peers? Please provide your view and any additional
> statements of motivation that you desire to provide.

Yes. Requirements and code necessary to support a generic datagram
service would hardly differ from those we have for RTP and it would
definitely help a lot in the use cases described above.

> Secondly, there is a question if there needs to have something that
> provides reliable message (of arbitrary size) or byte stream oriented
> data transport between the peers. I personally foresee that people will
> build JS libraries for this on top of a unreliable datagram service. If
> you desire reliable data service as part of the standardized solution
> please provide motivation and use case and requirements.

I definitely think it would be a great idea for the IETF to specify a
datagram based reliable service similar to Google's pseudo TCP. Whether
or not this happens in RTCWEB is of course a different matter. As I
wrote above many applications are likely to need such a think and I am
not sure that the flexibility we'll get by leaving this to JS libs is
worth the interoperability nightmare it would imply.

Emil