Re: [rtcweb] Confirmation of consensus on audio codecs

<Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com> Tue, 28 August 2012 19:26 UTC

From: Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com
To: fluffy@cisco.com, rtcweb@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 19:26:24 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.163.23.22]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Confirmation of consensus on audio codecs

Hi,

I'm having here both my individual thoughs and I'm also conveying the views of Nokia in more general.

(as individual)

First of all, my feeling is that we may be trying to make the codec decisions pre-maturely. Codecs are after all a negotiable and well understood component in RTCWeb. There are more critical things to get right to ensure interoperability and success of RTCWeb. By my judgement it will take at least one more year to deliver them in IETF or W3C. So I believe we still have time to make the final call about codecs even for the "1.0" version. With new codecs such as Opus one more year may bring more information about its quality, IPR status and so on.

Many people in the WG seem to consider unencumberment of codecs as essential. Opus does have several non-RF declarations on it, and there are many players who have not taken part in the IETF Codec WG and thus have no disclosure obligation on their potential IPR. So if the WG wants to mandate a wideband codec at this point, it seems to me that G.722 is the logical choice. (Opus is more efficient and if it indeed will enjoy RF status, I'm sure it will become the "de facto" RTCWeb codec in many environments.)

So, in summary, I think the WG should either not fix the mandatory codecs yet, or if that for some reason needs to be done right now, the MTI audio codecs should be G.711 and G.722.

(speaking for Nokia)

Nokia thinks that there are complexity issues with the Opus codec. There are also possible IPR risks associated with the "royalty-free" nature of Opus. We do not recommend Opus to be taken as a mandatory codec for RTCWeb at this point. From high quality low bit rate and mobile applications point of view the 3GPP AMR-WB codec (also known as ITU-T G.722.2) is the most preferable for us. For interoperability with implementations restricted to unencumbered codecs, we prefer G.711 and G.722.

Regards,
	Markus