Re: [rtcweb] New language (was: ... WebRTC JS Object API Model) (UNCLASSIFIED)

"Roy, Radhika R CIV USARMY (US)" <radhika.r.roy.civ@mail.mil> Mon, 01 July 2013 19:28 UTC

From: "Roy, Radhika R CIV USARMY (US)" <radhika.r.roy.civ@mail.mil>
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:28:18 +0000
x-originating-ip: [131.64.62.4]
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] New language (was: ... WebRTC JS Object API Model) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Yes, the problems with capability negotiations with SDP had been well-known
for the folks when H.323 (H.245) and SIP (SDP) were debated and when SIP RFC
3261 was created. Later on, SDP O/A RFC was created to help SDP to have some
negotiation capabilities.

Again, SDP could not provide any mechanisms for setting up of the multipoint
conferencing call dynamically where media bridging is needed evolving from
the two party point-to-point call that does not need any media bridging.

Later on, it was felt impossible to modify SDP for multipoint conference
call dynamically. So, it was decided that let us define a conference focus
that is the central point is well known a priori to all and people will dial
to that conference focus to set up the centralized multipoint conference
call statically only in a star-like configuration. That is, we gave up the
setup of the distributed conference call with sa mesh like configuration
dynamically because of limitations of SDP signaling architecture.

Now, if we keep the option that makes the WebRTC API is not 'hardwired' to
SDP as the ONLY one as mandatory for media signaling protocol for media
negotiations, then it will open up a huge innovative opportunities for all
of us in the future to have much more richer multimedia conference
capabilities.

So, let us keep SDP as one of the many alternatives for negotiations for
signaling of media capabilities (as opposed to ONLY one as mandatory that
stops all future innovations knowing SDP's all those limitations - we cannot
block our future innovativeness for real-time multipoint multimedia
communications - future of real-time multimedia communications are yet to be
imagined through creativity of the future generations).

Best regards,
Radhika