Re: [rtcweb] [tsvwg] STUN DSCP and draft-ietf-tsvwg-rtcweb-qos

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Wed, 31 July 2019 06:32 UTC

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 07:32:09 +0100
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: Justin Uberti <juberti=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
CC: Matthew Kaufman <mkaufman@bluejeans.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] [tsvwg] STUN DSCP and draft-ietf-tsvwg-rtcweb-qos

On 31/07/2019, 06:12, Justin Uberti wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 10:10 PM Matthew Kaufman
> <mkaufman@bluejeans.com <mailto:mkaufman@bluejeans.com>> wrote:
>
>     I noted two of particular interest… one is the “network eats
>     DSCP-marked but allows non-marked” case. Arguments go both ways as
>     to what one should do in this case (follow network admin desires
>     vs. work as often as possible).

Is that a real observed case - that all traffic that sets a specific
DSCP is lost, rather than re-marked?

- There's also an obvious case where a specific DSCP is conditioned
(e.g. rate-limited), which means some packets traverse the path, but a
full media flow will not. However, not sure that observation helps at all.

Gorry