Re: [rtcweb] SDP testing

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Sat, 20 October 2012 23:20 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 16:20:07 -0700
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] SDP testing

Harald said:
"Thanks for the info - can you point to the bugs you filed on these
      issues with our implementation? I'll try to see that they're
      followed up."

[BA] To determine whether something is a "bug" or a "feature" it helps to have a specification that states what is expected.  Since we're primarily talking about SDP usage within the API rather than what travels over the wire (after all, signaling is out of scope in WebRTC), http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nandakumar-rtcweb-sdp is only a baby step toward determining whether the SDP output by createOffer is conformant or whether input to setLocalDescription or setRemoteDescription should be acceptable or not, and if not, what should happen.
For example,  posting the SDP that is emitted by various createOffer() implementations might enhance the appreciation of the importance of the issue, I am not sure how to evaluate the results without understanding whether that output is expected to be valid SDP or not.  For example, if trickle ICE is used, then perhaps one should not expect createOffer to provide SDP with valid addresses and ports filled in; instead that information is expected to be filled in later.