Re: [rtcweb] Discussion on codec choices from a developer who doesn't come to IETF

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Fri, 04 May 2012 09:36 UTC

From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com>, Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 09:36:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.102.5]
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Discussion on codec choices from a developer who doesn't come to IETF

If this is about the MPEG-LA license: it is my understanding that content
for conversational purposes is covered by that license without any charge.
 RTCWEB is about conversational.  We can worry about licensing for the
encoder and decoder (which are part of the web browser), but users should
be fine.
Of course it is fairly well known that MPEG-LA is not the only entity
which has the right to use patent claims against an H.264 implementation
or an H.264 bitstream.
Stephan