Re: [rtcweb] Why the Straw Poll

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 12 December 2013 12:40 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "Cullen Jennings (fluffy)" <fluffy@cisco.com>, "Matthew Kaufman (SKYPE)" <matthew.kaufman@skype.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:40:34 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.41]
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Why the Straw Poll

I also think it is important that we should be able to work between devices.

However the devices I want to work between are webRTC devices and SIP devices, and other devices that are currently using video codecs.

Unfortunately we seem to have got the mandatory to implement video codec stated in the charter (without any thought or real discussion in my view of the implications), but every suggestion that we need requirements to interwork with existing infrastructure has been shouted down by certain groups. However that does not mean that there is consensus not to do this, just that there is no position.

Yes one can deploy infrastructure to do transcoding, but inherently that costs (and why should one force the cost to be on someone wanting to interwork with existing infrastructure), and potentially loses video quality (and should therefore be reserved for where one wants to conference different codecs together rather than on end to end sessions).

So fundamentally we are trying to address the wrong set of documented requirements.

Regards

Keith

P.S. And I did ask a few messages back which documents the chairs want to work on with higher priority, and I have had no response. So obviously they only want the WG to work on video codec MTI.