Re: [rtcweb] Proposal for H.263 baseline codec

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Thu, 29 March 2012 13:48 UTC

From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Piers O'Hanlon <p.ohanlon@gmail.com>, "Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com" <Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:47:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.102.4]
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "dean.willis@softarmor.com" <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Proposal for H.263 baseline codec

Hi,

A few random data points about H.263.

I write this as someone who sat through the meetings which defined H.263+ and H.263++ and with a vague recollection who proposed what.  I'm leaning myself fairly far out of the window here, so let me emphasize that this is not a formal risk analysis, no legal advice, and that it is instead today's snapshot of what I would think is a sensible position for a risk-averse implementer, which may be very different tomorrow.  As usual, you and your legal folks will have to perform your own risk analysis.  For those unfamiliar with the ITU tool set, the ITU patent database can be found here http://www.itu.int/ipr/IPRSearch.aspx?iprtype=PS and can be searched for Recommendation H.263.  The content of this database probably needs to be interpreted in the context of the then valid policies, disclosure and declaration requirements, and practices in the ITU, which were IMO and at the time, considerably less strict than the disclosure requirements observed in the IETF today.

H.263 is not "profiled" in the sense the MPEG video codecs are.  There is an Annex X defining profiles and levels, but this Annex was added several years after the first revision of H.263, almost as an afterthought.  The profiles defined therein are not necessarily the mode combinations that are (or have been) in practical use.

Compared to modern video codecs, H.263 is trivial to implement.  I would suggest that the availability or non-availability of certain modes and options in today's software base (be it open source or proprietary) should not the key driver in profiling H.263.  Compared to the implementation effort of the rest of the rtcweb stack, an H.263 implementation is cheap to have.

The reference implementation for H.263+ was maintained by the University of British Columbia and later by UB Video, and access to it for the public was removed around 1999.  UB Video also sold a close-to-real-time (on the machines of the time) H.263+ encoder and decoder library.  On today's machines, I would expect this software, after some optimization reflecting "modern" instructions sets, to handle 720p encoding and decoding on most machines.  UB Video was acquired by Scientific Atlanta, which in turn was acquired by Cisco.  AFAIK, today, Cisco owns the rights to all this software.  I could likely establish contacts to those people inside Cisco who may still have a copy of the software, if I were approached by Cisco folks not so fortunate.

Personally, I would not expect an IPR risk to go up significantly (compared to H.263 baseline 1996) when using the PLUSPTYPE header, which would (among other things) allow for flexible picture sizes.  The same is IMHO true for some of the optional modes of H.263+ that are "bug fixes" to the 1996 version of the spec, for example Annexes I (advanced intra), J (deblocking filter), K (slices), and S (VLC bug fix) , as well as 1996 Annex D (unrestricted motion).  Annex I helps for Intra pictures, J is good for subjective quality and not such a computational complexity bear as Annex F (overlapped block motion compensation), you want slices for MTU size matching if your picture size goes beyond CIF, and S is a bug fix.

The majority of the above coding tools do not require tricky encoder mode decision steps; the are simply alternate or additional syntax for baseline tools and functionalities.

Regards,
Stephan