Re: [rtcweb] WGLC of draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements-11

"Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com> Sat, 21 September 2013 23:40 UTC

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Karl Stahl <karl.stahl@intertex.se>, 'Magnus Westerlund' <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, "'Cullen Jennings (fluffy)'" <fluffy@cisco.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 23:40:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.29.42.196]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] WGLC of draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements-11

See below.

From: Karl Stahl [karl.stahl@intertex.se]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 11:11 PM
To: Hutton, Andrew; 'Magnus Westerlund'; 'Cullen Jennings       (fluffy)'; rtcweb@ietf.org; draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements@tools.ietf.org

I want to point out that all methods suggested for RTP media through
firewalls that do not allow UDP traffic, by using "always open" https port
443 (or http port 80) result in tunneling RTP media over TCP. That gives
with severe quality problems from TCP retransmissions of dropped media
packet packets. Do we really want that for WebRTC?

A quality wise better solution is already pointed out in use case 3.2.5.1
mentioned below:
"An enterprise that uses a RTCWEB based web application for communication
desires to audit all RTCWEB based application session used from inside the
company towards any external peer. To be able to do this they deploy a TURN
server that straddle the boundary
between the internal network and the external"

[AndyH] This is not about which is the better solution it is simply describing use cases. One in which the network administrator is aware of WebRTC and deploys mechanisms to deal with it and one in which there is no administrator or network specific mechanism for handling WebRTC media.  I think the use case in which there is no network specific TURN server will be at least in the near term by far the most common use case and therefore we need mechanisms to deal with it and it is a valid use case.

I suggest the following is added to that use case:
"Such TURN server allows a media path, separated from the usually data
crowded enterprise Internet access, offering superior quality. This is a
better way to enable WebRTC on a network behind a restrictive firewall not
allowing UDP traffic, instead of tunneling RTP through always open http or
https ports resulting in RTP media over TCP – with severe quality problems
from TCP retransmissions of dropped packets.

[AndyH] This does not sound like use case text to me it is comparing solutions to different use cases.

Such network administrator provided auditing TURN server would also put the
right party in control – The network administrator decides what is allowed
on his network."

Why should a network administrator that wants to block webrtc media, have to
do more than just closing his firewall for UDP, like below suggested
"configuring the browser not to do webrtc, normal HTTP black/white lists,
and solutions based on putting something in the HTTP Connect sent to the
proxy so the proxy can block it"?

[AndyH] The use case of most concern is the one where there is no network administrator and we need WebRTC to work in those environments by default if that means an administrator who is WebRTC aware has to go to a little effort to block it then I think that is ok.

Another thing in the second half of the same use case 3.2.5.1:
Are NAT/firewalls inside the enterprise network assumed? If not, I think the
second half can be deleted.

" In cases where employees are using RTCWEB applications provided by an
   external service provider they still want to have the traffic to stay
   inside their internal network and in addition not load the straddling
   TURN server, "

ICE establishes a direct connection in this case, not using any TURN server
at all, doesn’t it? This is then not a problem.

/Karl