Re: [rtcweb] Reasons (not?) to multiplex audio with video

Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live555.com> Tue, 26 July 2011 20:55 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:55:32 -0400
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
From: Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live555.com>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Reasons (not?) to multiplex audio with video

When I first started thinking about the 'multiplexing' question, I
tended to support Colin's point-of-view.  Carrying audio and video on
separate ports gives a system more flexibility, is compatible with
existing implementations (including mine :-), and is in line with
long-standing assumptions about the use of the SSRC, RTCP etc.

But over time I have become increasingly sympathetic to Jonathan's
arguments - especially regarding NAT traversal - in particular, setup
time, use of resources (# of ports), and failure modes.  We have to
assume that many, if not most users of RTCWEB systems will be on
unsophisticated, heavily NATed IPv4 home (or hotel, or coffee shop
etc.) networks.  As IPv4 addresses become scarcer, this situation
will likely only get worse.

However, as someone noted (in the context of "security") during
today's RTCWEB session, we're not the first people to be designing a
(hopefully) widely-deployed consumer-oriented peer-to-peer A/V chat
system.  There are several existing systems out there, so it might be
instructive to look at how they address the 'media multiplexing'
issue - in particular:

1/ Apple's "FaceTime".  OK, this is not browser-based (although with
a bit of work it probably could have been), but it does use RTP.  Is
it using separate ports for audio and video (and two more for RTCP)?
If so, has NAT traversal been a problem, and would it have been
beneficial to have been able to reduce the number of ports used?  (Is
Dave Singer on this mailing list?)

2/ Facebook's new video chat.  OK, this uses Skype, and thus
presumably not RTP (at least, not now).  But does this multiplex
audio+video on a single port?  (And if so, did this help motivate
Jonathan's point-of-view?)

3/ Google Plus "Hangouts".  Similar question to 1/.

4/ Any others (whether RTP-based or not)?

--

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.