Re: [rtcweb] On the topic of MTI video codecs

"Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net> Thu, 31 October 2013 15:10 UTC

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 16:10:27 +0100
To: Neil Stratford <neils@vipadia.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] On the topic of MTI video codecs

On 31 Oct 2013, at 10:02, Neil Stratford <neils@vipadia.com> wrote:

> On 30 Oct 2013, at 17:55, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> wrote:
>
>> As Jonathan mentioned earlier, this morning Cisco announced that it will be open sourcing an H.264 implementation as well as gratis binary modules compiled from that source and hosted by Cisco for download. Mozilla will be modifying Firefox to support H.264 by downloading Cisco's binary module.
>

> It seems like most of the groundwork is being done here for a real codec plugin API which would obviate the need for any particular codec to be selected as MTI.
>
> Can we encourage this new codec plugin API to be developed in an open way as part of the standards process and therefore be supported in all browsers? (Enabling for example the addition of VP8 to a browser that may not natively ship with it.)

I don't agree. The idea was to create a realtime web platform without the need for any plugins or downloadable modules. We've had that for ages and it is not a good solution.

I am still for a MTI codec or set of codecs so we always can set up video calls, regardless of implementation and if it's possible to download by policy or network conditions a specific binary.

/O