Re: [rtcweb] VP8 vs H.264 - subjective evaluation

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Wed, 23 October 2013 06:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:04:21 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Krasimir Kolarov <kolarov@apple.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] VP8 vs H.264 - subjective evaluation

On 10/23/2013 01:46 AM, Krasimir Kolarov wrote:
> To be very clear for the IETF community:
>
> As Harald’s slide deck notes on Slide 2, these subjective test results were not presented nor discussed at MPEG meetings. Hence they only reflect the opinion of the VP8 proponents.

Well.... strictly speaking, the results reflect the work of Vittorio
Baronici.
The methods reflect the methods chosen by MPEG.
The presentation was made by a VP8 proponent.

> The only subjective tests that were presented at the meeting compared VP8 and IVC (the Internet Video Coding proposal considered by Mpeg, which is different than AVC Constrained Baseline).
> Those tests raised a lot of controversy during discussions at the meeting and in fact some of the results had to be excluded because of significant differences in comparison conditions (rate control, etc.).

Krasimir, I think you're mixing up two debates here (easy, since there
have been two sets of subjective evaluation tests).

The use of rate control was accepted by MPEG, despite protests by some
of the members, since this is part of the design of VP8 in a way that it
was never part of the design of H.264.

No result was ever excluded in the IVC to VP8 comparision. After
discussion, we all agreed that the results needed to be presented with a
horizontal axis representing actual rate, not target rate; this has been
done in the slides I sent out.

Two results were dropped from the presentation of the VP8 results, which
were not presented as a comparision with AVC High profile, due to issues
with achieving very low bitrates.

>   This is not unlike recent discussions on this reflector about comparisons of VP8 and H.264 Constrained Baseline.

Agreed. In both cases, the protestations that rate control is a problem
reflect a position that MPEG did not come to consensus on. MPEG accepted
the results that were produced using rate control.