Re: [rtcweb] MTI video codec, charter, RFC 3929

Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com> Sat, 09 November 2013 16:37 UTC

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 17:36:38 +0100
From: Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com>
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] MTI video codec, charter, RFC 3929

Il giorno Fri, 08 Nov 2013 15:48:36 -0800
Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> ha scritto:

> On 11/8/13 15:20, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> > [S]ome people (FOSS projects) will have to ignore the spec if H.264
> > is the MTI, because they have no choice...
>
> You appear to have somehow missed Cisco's announcement last week.

What announcement? :-)

Jokes apart, we both know that the allegedly BSD license of the will-be
library means nothing. The fact itself you cannot use a version you
compile yourself will make it unusable. As Peter already pointed out,
developers from Debian and Fedora (incidentally two of the most
widespread distributions, Fedora being my default OS for a long time)
have already clarified how they won't be able to take advantage of it.

> > Of course, you may then speculate in return that no one cares about
> > FOSS projects and browsers, which I speculate would be an ironic
> > coming from someone representing a FOSS project.
>
> I think your assertion is trivially disproved by the fact that we, as
> a FOSS project, are going to support H.264 for WebRTC.

Which won't happen on my Fedora, where the shipped Firefox version
won't have the plugin installed. Or with any other multimedia
application on my Fedora at all, for that matter, for the very same
reason. Lucky thing opus and libvpx are available out of the box,
instead.

Lorenzo