Re: [rtcweb] Current state of signaling discussion

Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> Tue, 18 October 2011 21:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 23:41:12 +0200
From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "rtcweb-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <rtcweb-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Current state of signaling discussion

2011/10/18 Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>:
> In the abstract it states:
> "The protocol focuses solely on media negotiation and does not handle call control, call processing, or other functions."
>
> Ignoring esoteric stuff like session transfer, forwarding, etc. (ie, ignoring "phone" stuff) is fine.
>
> BUT, for an actual session protocol to work for even a gaming app, you need to do the following:
> 1) determine a target for the ROAP message (ie, who's this OFFER going to in the end?)
> 2) define how that target identity is conveyed (ie, how does the web server know which browser to give this ROAP OFFER to?)
> 3) define a source identity model, possibly with authentication (ie, who are you?)
> 4) define how the source identity is conveyed (ie, how does the server/far-end-browser know who's calling?)
> 5) define a end-of-session indication
> 6) define a keep-alive mechanism, for when the far end goes away silently and (5) doesn't apply
>
> And I've probably missed some other things.

Hi Hadriel, if ROAP draft specifies all the points above it becomes an
entire signaling protocol, and AFAIK we don't want that. If I use SIP
over WebSocket I just want (and need) to use SIP for signaling. So the
JS client constructs an INVITE which tells the proxy/server who he
claims to be. The proxy (speaking SIP over WebSocket) acts as a normal
SIP proxy for routing requests and responses, requiring
authentication, performing authorization, registration (or routing the
REGISTER to a pure registrar server behind it...).

So I don't see the need for ROAP to become a on-the-wire signaling
protocol. In fact, I don't support that idea.

I'm happy if ROAP just covers the communication between the JS and the
browser RTCweb stack. How the signaling messages (including the SDP or
"like-SDP") are carried on the wire should be out of the scope of ROAP
(the draft already is defined for being singaling protocol agnostic).

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc@aliax.net>