Re: [rtcweb] Congratuiations on the Cisco announcement - but we still prefer VP8

Tim Panton <thp@westhawk.co.uk> Mon, 04 November 2013 16:11 UTC

From: Tim Panton <thp@westhawk.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 16:01:22 +0000
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@jdrosen.net>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Congratuiations on the Cisco announcement - but we still prefer VP8

On 4 Nov 2013, at 14:58, Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@jdrosen.net> wrote:

> I do not believe that "genuinely free" is the only, nor even the primary, consideration here.
>
> I believe we should in general be thinking about what it takes to make webRTC successful. And more than anything else, that means making it a platform that application developers can utilize. If we do our jobs well, we'll have many thousands (hundreds of thousands even) of applications on the web that are enabled with real-time comms and frankly a great many of them will know nothing about codecs or the nuances of MPEG-LA licensing. What are the considerations for making webRTC attractive to them?
>
> I assert that the primary thing they'll want is to interconnect their application with some kind of video network or user base that can add value to their application. Let me give an example. Lets say there is a bank, and this bank wants to add the ability for a user to look at their investment portfolio online, click a button, and have a voice/video call with their investment advisor. To build such an app into their existing banking web app, the bank will need webRTC to connect to the voice and video contact center and clients their investment advisors have. Today, all of that is based on H.264.

But the scale of such _video_ deployments is so negligible compared to current VP8 deployment in chrome and firefox as to make that
argument unconvincing to me.

> So - I would assert that frankly our primary consideration for webRTC is interoperability. And interoperability as a requirement clearly points to H.264.
>
> There are other considerations too. Some of the ones I'd list are:
>
> * Interoperates with install base

An irrelevant install base, mostly consisting of non-realtime decoders.

> * Widespread deployment

Deployments that can't interoperate with web RTC because they don't support the required security features, or don't
support APIs that expose realtime H264.

> * Appeals to the existing set of video application developers - in other words, the biggest consumers of webRTC should be the folks who are already providing video communications applications on the Internet (which by definition none of them do so natively from the browser). Don't we want them to come to the web with webRTC?

Really? That's quite some assertion. I suppose many web designers did come from a print-design background initially,
but they have rapidly been overcome by webnative developers.

> * Available widely in hardware - especially mobile phones

But entirely in-accessible to developers- except to the platform players, giving the platform browser an unfair advantage.

> * Broad availability of expertise
> * Broad availability of toolsets

I'll grant these two, but with the caveat that if VP8 were to be an MTI in webRTC we could expect toolsets and expertise
to grow pretty fast, and probably overtake h264 before long. I say this because creating such tools in h264-land requires
lawyers and licences. The VP8 coders can do their initial work in a garage in spare time.

> * Multiple codebases and implementations to choose from

That's the best argument for h264 I've seen so far.

> And none of that has anything to do with IPR or royalties.

That's where we disagree. The legal framework shapes every decision in this space. Open source hackers will
be very edgy of messing with h264 for fear of falling off the legal straight and narrow.

T.