Re: [rtcweb] My Opinion: Why I think a negotiating protocol is a Good Thing

Wolfgang Beck <wolfgang.beck01@googlemail.com> Tue, 18 October 2011 18:29 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 20:29:42 +0200
From: Wolfgang Beck <wolfgang.beck01@googlemail.com>
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] My Opinion: Why I think a negotiating protocol is a Good Thing

> 1) we have to support both the case of one web server and the case of 2 web
> servers.

If we look at SIP, the trapezoid model hasn't been too sucessful.
Depressingly few SIP providers do interconnection, after all those
years.
Instead, even simple SIP clients support more than one SIP account so
people can reach their contact on different SIP providers.

> 2) when there is only one web server, one of the browsers is Firefox and the
> other one is Chrome, the JS needs to have a standard means of communication
> with the browser. This means a standard.
The chat function of stackexchange.com has Firefox and Chrome users.
I'm not aware of any standardized signalling protocol to exchange
the capabilities between the browsers. Instead the JS chat client
queries the browser's capabilities locally and sends them in a
non-standard format
to the web server.

Wolfgang Beck