Re: [rtcweb] Making both VP8 and H264 MTI

"Karl Stahl" <karl.stahl@intertex.se> Tue, 05 November 2013 23:12 UTC

From: Karl Stahl <karl.stahl@intertex.se>
To: 'cowwoc' <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>, rtcweb@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 00:12:25 +0100
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Making both VP8 and H264 MTI

I support this voting suggestion and don't think it violates the proposals
on the table.

I actually think "1. Should *both* H.264 and VP8 be MTI?" is the only one
that has a chance of reaching consensus.

Also,
- it is the best to avoid connection failure
- it will avoid requests for transcoding in the network (which would be very
bad technically)
- with the royalty free solutions VP8 from Google and H.264 from Cisco, why
not? None of these offers are conditioned being the only MTI. It is
technically not more difficult to include both than H.264 only.
- if any real IPR issue appears for H.264 or VP8, we have a fallback by
removing the MTI for one of these.
- we will see the Cisco codec plug-in slot model at least in some popular
browsers, which could be used for future codec plug-ins; better and
innovative codecs for general or specialized usage-

In short: Why not making both MTI? We have both G.711 and Opus for Audio.

/Karl