Re: [rtcweb] Call for Consensus Regarding Selecting Recommended Audio Codecs

"Rauschenbach, Uwe (NSN - DE/Munich)" <uwe.rauschenbach@nsn.com> Mon, 07 January 2013 17:18 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 18:18:02 +0100
From: "Rauschenbach, Uwe (NSN - DE/Munich)" <uwe.rauschenbach@nsn.com>
To: "ext Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com>, rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Call for Consensus Regarding Selecting Recommended Audio Codecs

My thoughts are in line with the ones from Andrew. Using normative language may be too strong, but we should document the ecosystem to allow interoperability with terminals not implementing
RTCWeb MTI codecs without introducing too big transcoding needs in RTCWeb gateways in the network.

E.g., a mobile terminal natively implementing codecs such as AMR-WB anyway could offer them in addition to the MTI codecs in RTCWeb session set-ups. A gateway connecting such a terminal to non-RTCWeb terminals in the mobile network would prefer such a mobile-specific codec over the MTI ones, as this decreases the use of the transcoding resources in the gateway.

Guidelines of that kind could be part of the text to be written, too.

Kind regards,
Uwe