Re: [rtcweb] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-12.txt

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 06 November 2014 20:22 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 12:22:09 -0800
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-12.txt

On 11/06/2014 12:00 PM, DRAGE, Keith (Keith) wrote:
> A few comments:

How nice to discuss something other than codecs - thank you!

> General: I believe the overview document should include the gateway document, rather than being a separate document.

I disagree (kind of obvious from the fact that I created the gateway
document).
I regard gateways as one "edge" of the WebRTC universe; putting them
into the overview document makes them much more "front and center".

I think there are special concerns with gateways that need discussion
(although not much has made it into -gateways yet - there's been very
little feedback), and having them in a separate document will make them
easier to address.

> 2.4: Definition of WebRTC device: This refers to protocols, but does not say what the scope of those protocols are. Does it include only the protocols listed in this document, other protocols that could be used in conjunction with webrtc, or what.

The protocols required by this document and its normative references.
Any protocol "could be used in conjunction with WebRTC", so that would
include the "whole world".

> 5: My understanding is that one of the security documents is a requirements document, which leads to the other document containing the security specification. Therefore the reference to the first should be at most informative, and the normative reference only to the second. I sought clarification on this at the last meeting, and that was the understanding I received.

Good point. Unless someone argues the contrary, I'll move the reference
to "-security" to the informative section.

> I believe it would be useful to have an offline discussion in Honolulu to spend some time reviewing the overview and gateway documents. Would there be an hour somewhere to slot this in. It would at least be useful to know what direction you think should be taking on the on-list discussion of some of the terms.

"offline" = "at meeting"?
Gateways is on the agenda, I believe.