Re: [rtcweb] Call for Consensus Regarding Selecting Recommended Audio Codecs

"Richard Shockey" <richard@shockey.us> Fri, 21 December 2012 21:14 UTC

From: Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 16:14:32 -0500
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Call for Consensus Regarding Selecting Recommended Audio Codecs

I'm really trying to understand the tortured logic here.  The presumption
was that you wanted to have some limited MTI's here in order to guarantee a
minimum level of interoperability.

Its clear there will be virtually no consensus on Video Codec's not very
much agreement on how text will be supported and now a sustained whine for
either SHOULD/RECOMMENDED ( whatever) for the most practical advanced
codec's that are or will be in use in the public SIP networks.

So instead of providing any minimum guidance to implementers why don't you
basically say "Well there is no consensus on anything and we've collectively
decided to drive off the protocol cliff and see what happens".

Cliff diving is very popular in the US these days.

Eliminate all MTI's and just say here is Video menu A, Audio menu B, Text
menu C and Dessert menu D good luck folks!

That seems to be where you seem to be going.