Re: [rtcweb] New Version Notification for draft-jesup-rtcweb-data-01.txt

Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de> Sat, 05 November 2011 21:10 UTC

From: Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:10:18 +0100
To: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] New Version Notification for draft-jesup-rtcweb-data-01.txt

On Nov 3, 2011, at 4:41 PM, Randell Jesup wrote:

> On 11/3/2011 9:09 AM, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
>> When it comes to the actual usage of either of IP/UDP/SCTP/DTLS and
>> IP/UDP/DTLS/SCTP we have the same two dependencies on other WGs.
>>
>> First we need a SCTP over foo document, which is TSVWG. The SCTP over
>> UDP is already an WG document and making some progress. For SCTP over
>> DTLS there would be need for a new document, or possibly get that
>> defined in the same as SCTP over UDP directly.
>>
>> Secondly if one uses SDP one needs a definition of how one expresses
>> this on the media description line. That includes the "proto" identifier
>> itself and any additional information, like direction for establishing
>> the connection which would be similar to what COMEDIA defines for TCP
>> (RFC 4145).
>
> We probably need to do these in any case (SCTP or not).
>
>>> From a time perspective IP/UDP/SCTP/DTLS is the quicker road as the SCTP
>> over UDP is already in progress and DTLS over SCTP is defined.
>
> Right, but that also means we'd need to define reliable stream-like layers on top of DTLS-over-SCTP, deal with large message fragmentation, etc.  Perhaps someone with more DTLS-over-SCTP knowledge (Michael, Randy) could detail what the impact would be.  (I'll also start reviewing the DTLS-over-SCTP draft.)
If the upper layer knows that you use stream n in "stream line mode", you can just
ignore the message framing. Pretty simple. No changes needed. Runs over SCTP or DTLS.

If you need large messages with message boundaries, it can be added to SCTP.
It should be not too hard. Randy and myself will look into it... However,
to allow multiplexing with having more than one message being sent concurrently,
a new chunk is necessary.

Just one note: DTLS-over-SCTP is an RFC and you can find a patch for OpenSSL at
http://sctp.fh-muenster.de/dtls-patches.html