Re: [rtcweb] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-channel-04.txt

Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de> Mon, 04 March 2013 18:46 UTC

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 19:46:37 +0100
To: "MARCON, JEROME (JEROME)" <jerome.marcon@alcatel-lucent.com>
Cc: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-channel-04.txt

On Mar 4, 2013, at 3:36 PM, MARCON, JEROME (JEROME) wrote:

> Randell,
>
> Thanks for this update. There are some points not (yet) explained in the text:
>
> 1. Following the SDP opening handshake, are the data channels implicitly opened, or does the offerer send one DATA_CHANNEL_OPEN message per new data channel ?
>
> 2. "channel is available to send as soon as the DATA_CHANNEL_OPEN has been sent". And the SACK received I guess ?
The SACK is an SCTP level ack. So you only know that the SCTP stack of the peer has received it,
so you don't know if the application has received it or even processed it. So if you want some
sort of ack, you need an application level ack. This was done in the 3 way handshake stuff which
was in the older version.

In this version, the sender sends an DATA_CHANNEL_OPEN as the first message and the receiver has
to buffer user messages until the DATA_CHANNEL_OPEN message has been received in case of reordering
in the network and using unordered delivery for user messages.

Best regards
Michael