Re: [rtcweb] [MMUSIC] Is bundle just a port override?

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 21 March 2013 12:09 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 13:09:37 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: "Mo Zanaty (mzanaty)" <mzanaty@cisco.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "mmusic@ietf.org" <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] [MMUSIC] Is bundle just a port override?

On 03/21/2013 06:59 AM, Mo Zanaty (mzanaty) wrote:
> Hi Harald,
>
> You're right, both are essentially groupings, and all of our wheels have ugly angles. To me, the ugly angles in bundle are unnecessary indirection by grouping with artificial bindings (mid), and that it pretends to be more than it is. To me, it is just a port override, but with unnecessary indirection. Why not just say the port you want to use directly?
>
> m=audio 10000 RTP/AVP 0
> m=video 10002 RTP/AVP 31
> a=port 10000
>
> vs.
>
> a=group:BUNDLE foo bar
> m=audio 10000 RTP/AVP 0
> a=mid:foo
> m=video 10002 RTP/AVP 31
> a=mid:bar
>
> Why is the direct approach more complex? Why is ICE any different in either approach?
You don't know the port you'll be using ahead of time with ICE; you have
to put ICE into all the M-lines in order to be able to negotiate ICE
when you don't get the bundling.

So in addition to specifying the port on the m= line, you have to uglify
your solution by stating rules that say "if you accept this alternate
port, you also have to accept these special rules for ICE", and all the
other stuff that Christer uncovered and is documented in his draft.

And nothing that looks as the SDP without knowing the special semantics
of bundle can know that the fact that a=port in those 2 M-lines implies
special treatment of ICE.

It's a grouping framework. I don't want to create new grouping
frameworks; the one we have is bad enough.

I think your angles will produce a bumpier ride than mine :-)