Re: [rtcweb] Media negeotiation and signalling archatecture

Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> Thu, 30 June 2011 06:41 UTC

From: Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:41:18 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Media negeotiation and signalling archatecture

A couple of quick comments:

* The last slide now says that WhatWG proposal is low path; this is not true. The WhatWG proposal as I read it is mute on how the SDPs are exchanged, it just hands those SDPs over to the application (though high path is indicated: "Communications are coordinated via a signaling channel provided by script in the page via the server, e.g. using XMLHttpRequest.")

* Notably the WhatWG PeerConnection API does allow both high path and low path. You can exchange all the SDPs over the server as the spec indicates, but if your application initially only sets up a PeerConnection with no media Streams, there will be a peer-to-peer datagram channel available. It can be used by the web app to exchange the SDPs for media negotiation when you add Streams (then we have a separate thread on that datagram channel - is it reliable or not - or would the app have to add reliability)

* Even if you use the low path approach you still need a high path available all the time. It is needed to exchange candidates so that ICE can be used to open the low path - and this would have to be done at the start of the session and every time you do a NIC change (a use case you added BTW!)

Stefan