Re: [rtcweb] Consent alternative

Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com> Mon, 25 November 2013 14:43 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:43:52 +0100
From: Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com>
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Consent alternative

Il giorno Fri, 22 Nov 2013 10:41:07 -0800
Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Actually, this removes some of the complication.  At worst, it just
> moves it.
>
> This concentrates all of the logic at the DTLS layer.  If you choose
> to treat it so, ICE no longer needs to play any role in determining
> consent.

Apologies for this late comment, but I only now read the draft. I agree
with you that it makes more sense to handle content freshness in DTLS,
especially since, as the draft says, you wouldn't send data until the
DTLS handshake has completed anyway, and this would remove the need
for all those connectivity checks. The only doubt I have is sec.3: is
specifying an ALPN really necessary, if "any DTLS message is
sufficient to refresh consent"? are you envisaging a scenario where it's
the DTLS stack that filters unwanted incoming packets (e.g., SCTP where
you only want RTP), or would it be there for a different reason?

Thanks,
Lorenzo