Re: [rtcweb] ROAP Example Application

Matthew Kaufman <matthew.kaufman@skype.net> Fri, 21 October 2011 06:46 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 23:46:42 -0700
From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew.kaufman@skype.net>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] ROAP Example Application

On 10/20/11 7:08 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
> I liked Dan Yorks rant on what we need and it made me want to show some simple code using an interface like the current W3C PeerConnection API along with ROAP. Assuming the ROAP objects got passed in and out of the Peer Connection object, here is a short little example I copied that shows how simple it is to write a web application that sets up an audio / video connection between two browsers. It assumes a simple web server that that can pass messages from alice to bob and visa versa. Both alice and bob just short poll the web server to get messages from their mailbox and post messages to the others mailbox. The web server does not transform the messages in any way. Clearly this example is wrong in some ways, lacks authentication, and various error handling but I think it illustrates the basics of the interfaces.

Thanks for the example.

However, in addition to illustrating the basics, it also illustrates
that ICE parameters and codec SDP parameters are now inextricably
intertwined within this proposal, where in fact there is a good argument
that not only should they be kept separate but that in fact they are the
responsibility of different objects within the JavaScript API.

Matthew Kaufman