Re: [rtcweb] Minimal SDP negotiation mechanism

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Tue, 20 September 2011 01:37 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 01:39:43 +0000
x-originating-ip: [216.41.24.34]
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Minimal SDP negotiation mechanism

In SIP it's possible to get two or more different answers back for one offer, due to forking.  I'm not sure you want/need to handle that case, but it can and does in-practice happen in SIP.

Also, in SIP it's technically possible to generate SDP which is neither an offer nor an answer, but is rather "capabilities".  This is described in RFC 3264 section 9, and used in responses to SIP OPTIONS requests by some devices.  As Cullen noted in some earlier email in the mailing list, this could probably be hacked around with a fake SDP answer or error, but ya may want to keep things clean and just handle this case explicitly instead.

-hadriel