Re: [rtcweb] draft-ibc-rtcweb-sip-websocket -- WebSocket Transport for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com> Tue, 13 September 2011 17:58 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:00:27 -0400
From: Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com>
To: Ravindran Parthasarathi <pravindran@sonusnet.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] draft-ibc-rtcweb-sip-websocket -- WebSocket Transport for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

Partha,

I am not sure if you understood this from my emails before, but the main
advantage is that SIP does not work from behind NAT if TCP or TLS is used.
SIP is not intended for this and does not support this. You can try to build
something which is somewhat standard to implement SIP over TCP (TLS) from
behind NAT, but I do not think this is widely implemented at all.
Roman Shpount