Re: [rtcweb] Changing video size (Re: use case:)

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Mon, 20 June 2011 13:52 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 06:52:44 -0700
From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, Aron Rosenberg <arosenberg@logitech.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Changing video size (Re: use case:)

Applications requiring (or making desirable) adequate response of the video
codec to changes of rendering window sizes are a perfect scenario for the
use of spatial scalability.  One avoids the waste of sending bits for a high
resolution picture that cannot be rendered at high resolution, but has
freedom to start sending high resolution, without the delay involved in
sending an I frame, at any time.

Scalable video is also a useful tool to combat losses and to adapt
seamlessly to changes in the channel bandwidth (to combat congestion, for
example).

Stephan