Re: [rtcweb] Data transfer

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Fri, 16 September 2011 13:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:45:38 +0200
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <saul@ag-projects.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Data transfer

Hi,

When it comes to the data transfer the discussion we have had back in
the beginning of the summer made it clear that there was clear interest
for an unreliable peer to peer datagram based channel.

Use cases include game data, meta information in conferencing. But it is
for whatever the the JS application have use for it.

When it comes to reliable data the result of the discussion was a bit
more unclear. Some interest existed, but no one was willing to be a
driving proponent to both propose technology and use cases.

When it comes to the unreliable data channel we are awaiting that
draft-cbran-rtcweb-data-00 is updated to try to provide something at
least worth discussing. As the WG has no consensus yet on the details
for solving this channel, any contribution is most welcome.

I agree that when it comes to T.140 it can easily be included as media
format that shall be supported. We have had several suggesting that and
no real objections. One can note that there goes 13 proposals for text
transfer to the dozen.

Maybe the simplest is to make a consensus call on this.

Cheers

Magnus