Re: [rtcweb] To multiplex or not!

Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> Tue, 19 July 2011 16:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:47:27 +0200
From: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] To multiplex or not!

На 19.07.11 16:28, Magnus Westerlund написа:
<snip>

> a) MUST be sent as Individual flows for each component.

+1

> b) MUST be multiplexed into a single transport flow.
>
> c) SHOULD be multiplexed into a single transport flow, but the RTCWEB
> peer MUST be able to send them as individual flows.
>
> I would love if people can indicate their choice or preferences.
>
> I personally prefer A as it it is simplest in all aspect except the NAT
> traversal.

It definitely simplifies it on paper - it would be far easier to draw an
ICE negotiation diagram that only deals with a single stream component.

I am not sure however to what extent this would actually simplify
implementations. They would still need to handle multiple candidates and
pacing and such ... and of course they'd also need to implement  a
de-multiplexing layer.

<snip>
> - People are used to the concept
> - It minimizes the difference to legacy.

Personally I consider this as the most important part.

Cheers,
Emil