Re: [rtcweb] Future requirement: RTC-Web apps must work through interface switching

<Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com> Thu, 06 October 2011 13:18 UTC

From: Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com
To: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com, rtcweb@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 13:20:01 +0000
x-originating-ip: [88.114.26.217]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Future requirement: RTC-Web apps must work through interface switching

Hi Magnus,

Magnus Westerlund wrote:

>Hi,
>(as individual)
>
>I would like to comment on two things around this with ICE restarts and what I
>believe Google Voice Talk does and its relation to the ICE spec.
>
>First of all I understand this being based on that the candidates are kept alive
>after the initial nomination so they are always ready. This is clearly allowed,
>but will definitely fail if the other part doesn't keep its ICE candidates alive,
>and do note that these might include TURN relay candidates also. Thus this
>practice is not without some resource consumption, even if it is only a STUN
>request every 15 seconds.

I agree that keeping candidates alive for an interface that is otherwise on stand-by is costly. For instance, if the media flows over Wi-Fi, but the device would like to keep the cellular interface candidates alive in case the user steps out of Wi-Fi coverage, it will be about double the radio power consumption. But there are some situations where doing this smartly might make sense.

>Secondly, I understand that the alternative candidates are used without
>signaling to the other peer that the ICE connectivity checks and later
>nomination happens. This will not work for candidate pairs where the peer
>not having interface change happen to it is behind a middlebox with a address
>dependent filtering rule, i.e. practically all, unless the candidate pair hasn't be
>initially verified to work and kept alive without nomination due to lower
>priority for the whole call.

Right.

>Otherwise, this only works when both sides tries to
>use their candidates due to ICE restart signaling message or that the other
>peer also suspects path breakage and initiates an ICE restart implicitly based
>on lack of feedback and media traffic from peer.
>
>When it comes to handling interface changes in general. I do believe that we
>will need to support a signaled ICE restart. If not, the webapp can anyway
>emulate this at a higher resource consumption and likely longer media
>disruption by opening new peer connections.

Agree. It seems there is some flexibility how to do this, as long as the JS app just gets an event about the connectivity changes. So this seems to be the minimum thing needed.

>Cheers
>
>Magnus

Markus