Re: [rtcweb] SDP Security Descriptions (RFC 4568) and RTCWeb

Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org> Thu, 25 April 2013 23:40 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 19:40:31 -0400
From: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] SDP Security Descriptions (RFC 4568) and RTCWeb

On 4/25/2013 4:27 PM, Matthew Kaufman (SKYPE) wrote:
> I agree. The ability to set the cipher suite and keys from JavaScript is critical for certain applications. SDES is the best we'll get with SDP as the API. DTLS-SRTP-only would be unacceptably limiting.

So, the problems with SDES (discussed to a fare-the-well every 3 months
for the last 1.75 years or more, so there's nothing really new here):

It exposes security keys directly to the application (or takes them from
there).  Basically, you're back in "all your media is totally in trust
to the application and website".  The keys aren't even end-2-end
encrypted or even authenticated.  And even if you expose SDES bid-downs
to the user, they don't know what they mean or how to process this
information.

SDES basically means to me "secure against random WiFi sniffers at the
coffeeshop", and little more than that.  I realize carriers and others
like SDES because they make certain uses and obligations easy for them
to meet, and interop with legacy devices and systems easier (though many
such legacy interop systems will perforce need gateways anyways, and
those gateways can convert from DTLS-SRTP to SDES.

Yes, some gateway scenarios might be cheaper/easier with SDES, but I see
the primary use-cases for WebRTC to be browser-to-browser, not
browser-legacy.  Certainly some large organizations are built around the
VoIP/net to legacy equipment/PSTN/PBX use-case, and certainly they would
find SDES easier.

But I think we need to weigh that against the longer term, and the
interests of the users (not the providers) -- the users aren't generally
at this table; the IETF is full of people who almost by definition work
for the companies that provide data and services. (Not everyone, but most.)

I realize there are some (many) who have
business/organizational/political reasons to avoid end-2-end
encryption.  However, per IETF norms (RFC 2084) we should not be letting
that decide this issue.

It's tough to find a way to allow SDES in the "connect to a gateway that
will decrypt anyways" case, while also avoid bid-down attacks on
browser-browser communication.  (and EKT has some of the same key
control issues)

We can say "we enforce DTLS-SRTP only for secure, authenticated" calls
like ekr presented (with media tainting, etc) - but that mode isn't the
default and really can't be/won't be for many users and applications,
making it at best an obscure option for most people. An app (or browser
chrome) could put a "renegotiate/re-encrypt NOW with only DTLS-SRTP"
button up, but I doubt most apps would bother, and it might be a
struggle to get all browsers to include such an option I suspect.  And
even that might/would be hard to convey to users.  But maybe that's the
best we can do.  If so, it's a sad day we can't collectively figure out
something better.

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf@jesup.org